I have just come back from a holiday in Jordan and a little mini spa break in Bath - a holiday to get over the holiday!! - hence no posts for a few weeks. I had been frantically making both skirts to take away with me. I thought that the weather over there would be better but as it poured down with rain for half the holiday I only got to wear one of them from the vast amount of excess baggage I carted around with me!
In the end the Miette skirt came out well and I think it has a nice 70's air about it. The fabric was a little chunky for the design but I actually like the way the skirt falls because of it. My machine struggled through some of the layers though so I would choose something a little lighter next time otherwise I fear it could self combust....
The Burda skirt was a nightmare. I had to buy four metres of fabric, make up patterns for each tier and then spend ages cutting the tiers out. The fabric seemed to cover the entire floor of my tiny flat. It was the epitome of dull! I normally don't mind this part of clothes making so much because it's the precursor to finally making something fun but on this occasion I just kept looking at the cut out lengths of fabric, the bottom tier itself was four metres long, that I just kept finding reasons not to make it. I had left it so late before my holiday I spent the last Sunday before I left literally sewing all day. The skirt itself is a simple construction but I fooled myself that I could do it in one day and once I started I wouldn't give up. I did pretty much achieve my goal but it has become a bit quirky through speed sewing!! Each section is gathered and sewn to the piece above. I sewed french seams throughout which was good for a lovely finish but a pain when gathering four meters in one go and also it was effectively sewing up eight metres just on the bottom tier alone. It was by this point I was sure I was loosing my marbles. I also lined it as the fabric is really see through in certain lights so that just added another layer of fun to the creative making process!!
It was a frustrating skirt to make and may have been less so if I had made more time in my life to do it. But essentially it's a boring sewing experience and not one I plan to repeat any time soon! I rushed it so much that I managed to cut a piece of the main fabric because it was hard to see what I was doing which was almost the last straw! Luckily the fabric is busy and the cut small so I hand patched it and moved on!!
Time ran out on that Sunday and I was busy hemming it before I flew out of the UK the next day meaning I think the whole thing is potentially ever so slightly wonky! Definitely not my best work!! But I actually really like it and have wanted something floaty, comfortable and girly to wear during summer for a while and it definitely ticks the boxes. Maybe not such an epic fail after all.... Well as long as no-one looks too closely!