Made by Me!

Sunday, 11 May 2014

Simply drafted summer skirt

So I am definitely in the running for having a great summer wardrobe...one that I can't quite wear yet as its decided to get windy and rainy again here in London town. It's fine though as it gives me more time to make more handmade garments to wear during the summer. It's part of the aim of this blog to make and wear more handmade garments after all!


Okay so its the type of skirt that most beginners tend to make as the construction is pretty simple but I did in fairness draft the waistband from my skirt block which kind of makes it a self drafted pattern....erhm....


It has a lapped waistband which has an overlap over the zip closure and a couple of buttons to close it inside. This finish is not essential but it's neater than just having the zip close right up to the top of the waistband. The skirt itself is a very basic rectangle of fabric back and front and gathered at the top. When I was on my pattern cuttting course they gave us a simple way of working out how wide to make the rectangles to create average fullness. All you need to do it multiply the waist measurement by 2 or 2 and a half times depending on the thickness of the fabric. If you were making it out of a really thin fabric like chiffon you would times the waist measurement by 3 or 4 times.



I love this skirt because its super simple, only took a few hours to sew and I think its a case of the fabric suiting a simple design rather than something too fussy. It's a lovely linen type material, quite crisp and thick to the touch so it holds it's shape well. I really love high waisted skirts, they are really flattering - especially as they hide my belly! I think I may well get a little bit of wear out of this one!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear your comments. I reply to everyone within the blog so pop back to read any responses.