Made by Me!

Saturday, 16 January 2016

My 'Granny Chic' Sewaholic Fraser Sweatshirt!

So this is my second Fraser, in a completely different stretch fabric than my original version blogged about here. I like to call it 'Granny Chic' as the fabric reminds me of old people but in a nice way!!

It's a weird jersey made of a polyester, viscose mix and so it feels more sporty than soft and luxurious to touch but its a sturdy fabric and I think the damson colour is divine! It is a pique jersey which means it doesn't have a smooth surface, I would describe it  as a waffle weave with a raised surface. I am contemplating whether or not it will be super sweaty....hoping not! One thing I realised whilst sewing with it is that it doesn't iron as well as I hoped (and I had a feeling it might not do so well on a hot iron) so my pressing is not as good as I would like in some places. If you fancy snaffling some then I originally got it from Dragonfly Fabrics but I don't think they appear to have any stock left now, however I did spot some on the Fabric Godmother website.

This is version C (one of three style options) with the collar inset which I made from leftover black jersey fabric from my last Fraser. I kept to the three quarter length sleeves which I used on my last version, it is styled on the pattern packet with short sleeves but I felt the short ones would be a little chilly as the temperatures are dropping past zero now. Honestly this probably isn't warm enough either but its pretty and that's all that matters!

I put this together in a record 3 hours last night. I had been off ill from work for two days - and watching 'Making a Murderer' on Netflix which is super addictive! I had no desire to sew but as soon as I felt better I wanted a doable sewing challenge in an evening and this fabric came calling from my stash. It doesn't have a lot of give in it but it was super easy to cut and put together unlike a lot of jersey materials that I have come across - it doesn't help when your only cutting table is carpet though! The only issue was the neck, waist and sleeve bands, all of which needed a little more length then the original pattern due to the lack of stretch. It puckers very slightly at the back of the neckline because it is more taut that it should be but I hope it isn't really noticeable. I sewed the other pieces with a 3/8 instead of 5/8 seam allowance when sewing the loops together and it allowed just that little bit of extra fabric on the remaining bands. It isn't perfect but its better.

The hardest part about this top was getting the collar segments in - or more specifically pivoting around the corners to make it nice and smooth. The second one I sewed in is definitely better than the first! My tip is to pin it all first and take it slow!

I really love this outfit and I hope you do too! Is there a Fraser on your sewing list or have you made one already? I would love to see your versions. Happy Sewing!


  1. I love your top. I have this pattern, but haven't made it. Now I'm inspired!

    1. Thank you so much! It has already seen a lot of wear. I hope you do make one - it was so easy to whip up really quickly and so its a satisfying project. Hope you enjoy making it!

    2. I always thought the idea of the 'collar' on the Fraser was a bit odd, but yours works beautifully. It really pulls the outfit together with the black skirt. Lovely job!
      Debbie B

    3. Hi Debbie. Thank your for your lovely comment! I wasn't sure at first but I think it helps to break up the busyness of the main fabric. It's now one of my go to tops.


It would be lovely to hear your comments. I reply to everyone within the blog so pop back to read any responses.